Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Tribute to Scouting

This poast was enspired by a conversation I got in to last night. Right before I started 8th grade, I got involved in scouting. As most of you know, I ended up making eagle. Recently, I've become a committee member for the troop I used to be a part of. A lot of people used to ask why I did scouting and now ask why I'm on the committee when there's tons of other stuff I could be doing. My answer is this. As for scouting, I know most people find it to be childish and borring. However, these are people who either never were involved in it or who had a bad experiense with it. The truth is, scouting not only teaches you many life skills you will use in every part of life, but it helps you grow and mature as a person. Also, I feel that scouting was beneficial when it came to my understanding that blindness, or any other disability for that matter, doesn't have to stop you from living and enjoying life to the fullest and contributing to society. Sure, I've allways been told this growing up, but having someone tell you that and discovering it for yourself are 2 entirely different things. As for being on the committee, I ddecided that since scouting had a great impact on my life, it was only right for me to try to gove back by helping the boys that are currently in the troop achieve the same satisfaction and growth that I got. What better way to do this than to stay involved with the troop. So, for those who ask in the future, there's my answer. On that note, I'll definitely say that I would not be who I am today if it wasn't for my involvement in scouting.

No comments:

Post a Comment